What do you want to accomplish? What are your reasons for
a book club? If you answer these questions and set goals early in
book club planning stages, it will simplify many of the decisions you
later make. Setting goals will also allow you to evaluate the
of your book club's success and identify areas for improvement.
goals are also helpful when preparing presentations or proposals for
your program. No two book clubs' goals will be identical, but
are some ideas and examples to help you get started.
- Make reading a social experience as well as an individual activity
- Develop verbal expression of ideas and feelings
- Encourage critical thinking
- Develop the feeling of belonging to a group, being respected, and
other group members with respect
- Bond with others of similar age or cross-generational
- A chance to see others in a new way
- An opportunity to see literature in a new way